A. Identify the persons in the pictures and write their names in the blanks:
1. He fought against untouchability throughout his life. He is also known as ‘Father of our nation. ………………… .
2. He fought for the justice to the people who were treated as untouchables. He was the chairman of the drafting committee of our constitution. ………………… .
3. He is a social ref ormer.
(a) Who is he?
(b) What is his important contribution?
4. Khadi is the word connected with Charka. Mention its importance with Gandhiji.
- Worksheet for Class 5 Environmental Studies Who will do this work Assignment 1
- Worksheet for Class 5 Environmental Studies Who Will Do This Work Assignment 2
5. Gandhiji lived here.
(a) What is its name?
(b) Where is it located?
B. Read the incident “Remembering those days” on Page 151 (NCERT Text-book), Gandhiji says, “Untouchability is a serious matter. A lot of hard work will be required to change this.”
1. What is untouchability?
2. Do you think it is wrong? Why?
3. Who are the untouchables?
4. Is untouchability still prevalent in India?
5. What can one do to remove untouchability?
6. Name some personalities who fought against untouchability.
C. Tick (✓) all the correct statements:
Gandhiji in his ashram taught all the students, adults and even guests to clean the toilets. By this he wanted to teach people:
1. to keep their surroundings clean
2. to do their own work
3. to respect all human beings as equal
4. to respect all work-dignity of labour
5. to fight against untouchability
6. to clean toilets
7. to clean villages
8. to set an example to others to follow them
D. Answer the following questions in your own words:
1. Why do people do different kinds of jobs?
2. Who does cleaning in your locality?
3. Who does cleaning in your school?
4. How are cleaners helping us? Why should we respect them?
5. “Every person should do every kind of work” who said these words?
6. Write the jobs you would like to do.
7. Write the jobs you would not want to do. Give reasons.
8. How do the scrap / garbage pickers help us?
9. Name the diseases spread due to untidy environment and unhygienic place.
E. In some schools students are asked to clean and wash their classrooms and school-gardens on Sandhi Jayanti Day do “Shram Doan” like level the playground, pick up all the stones and remove the grass”. Why?