A. Answer the following questions in short:
1. What is the term used for secretions of endocrine glands responsible for changes taking place in the body?
2. Define adolescence.
3. What is menstruation? Explain.
4. List changes in the body that take place at puberty.
5. Prepare a table having two columns depicting names of endocrine glands and hormones secreted by them.
6. What are sex hormones? Why are they named so? State their function.
7. Write notes on:
(a) Adam’s apple.
(b) Secondary sexual characters.
(c) Sex determination in the unborn baby.
8. The table given on next page’ shows the data on likely heights of boys and girls as they grow in age. Draw graphs showing height and age for both boys and girls on the same graph paper. What conclusions can be drawn from these graphs?
9. Name four body processes that hormones control.
10. We should avoid taking medicines/drugs unless prescribed by a doctor. Give reasons.
11. Our government has legalised the age for marriage in boys and girls. Give reasons as to why one should get married after a certain age.
B. Tick (✓) the correct option:
1. Adolescents should be careful about what they eat, because:
(a) proper diet develops their brains
(b) proper diet is needed for the rapid growth taking place in their body
(c) adolescents feel hungry all the time
(d) taste buds are well developed in teenagers
2. Reproductive age in women starts when their:
(a) menstruation starts
(b) breasts start developing
(c) body weight increases
(d) height increases
3. The right meal for adolescents consists of:
(a) chips, noodles, coke
(b) chapati, dal, vegetables
(c) rice, noodles and burger
(d) vegetable cutlets, chips and lemon drink
4. Which of the processes in the body is controlled by hormones?
(a) Blood circulation
C. Fill in the blanks:
1. The glands of the ……………….. system secrete hormones.
2. In males, the hormone ……………. controls sexual characteristics.
3. The larynx is bigger in ………………… .
4. Ovulation is the production of an …………….. by one of the ……………. .
D. State True or False:
1. Glands release hormones into the blood stream through ducts. ……………..
2. Hormones act wherever they are released by the glands. ……………..
3. Adolescence is marked by the onset of puberty. ……………
4. The unfertilised egg is called foetus. ………………
E. Match the following:
|1. Hormones are secreted by||a. Males|
|2. Legal age for marriage of boys in India is||b. Larynx|
|3. Voice box is also called||c. Females|
|4. Ovary is found in||d. 21 years|
|5. Testis are found in||e. Endocrine glands|
F. Collect newspaper cuttings and information in magazines about HIV/AIDS. Write a one page article of 15 to 20 sentences on HIV/ AIDS.
G. Endocrine glands are given below. Write hormones secretion and its function:
H. Word game: Use the clues to work out the words:
3. Protruding voice box in boys
4. Glands without ducts
7. Endocrine gland attached to brain
8. Secretion of endocrine glands
9. Pancreatic hormone
10. Female hormone
1. Male hormone
2. Secretes thyroxine
3. Another term for teenage
5. Hormone reaches here through blood stream
6. Voice box
7. Term for changes at adolescence